It is reported form Abu Al-Darda – ALLAH be pleased with him – that he said, “Three make me laugh, and three make me cry.
Those that make me laugh are
- a person who puts his hopes in this worldly life while death pursues him,
- a person who is heedless [of his Lord] while [his Lord] is not heedless of him, and
- a person who always laughs while he does not know whether he has pleased ALLAH or angered Him.
What makes me cry is
- being separated from my beloved: Prophet Muhammad (sallal laahu alaihi wasallam) and his party (the Companions),
- the horrors of the time of death, and
- standing in front of ALLAH ‘azza wa jall on the Day when the secrets will be revealed and I do not know will I then go to Paradise or Hell?”
Ibn Al-Mubarak, Al-Zuhd wa Al-Raqa`iq, article 250.