In the name of Allah, Most Merciful, Most Gracious.
Peace and Blessings of Allah be upon our Master Muhammad, his family and companions.
The legal and religious status of celebrating the birth of Holy Prophet (Peace & Blessings be upon him) in light of the Ahadith:
1) Let us have the opinions of Prophet (Peace be with him) who himself celebrated his Birthday. See Muslim Sharif:
عَنْ أَبِى قَتَادَةَ الأَنْصَارِىِّ رضى الله عنه أَنَّ رَسُولَ اللهِ -صلى الله عليه وسلم- سُئِلَ عَنْ صَوْمِ الاِثْنَيْنِ فَقَالَ « فِيهِ وُلِدْتُ وَفِيهِ أُنْزِلَ عَلَىَّ
Abu Qatada Ansari (may Allah be pleased with him) reported that Allah’s Messenger (may Peace and Blessings of Allah be Upon Him) was asked about fasting on Monday, whereupon he said: It is (the day) when I was born and revelation was sent down to me.
1. Sahih Muslim, Book 6 (Fasting), Number 2606. Also Number 2603 has the same mention.
2. Asad al-Gaba fi Ma’arfat as-Sahaba, Vol. 1, Page 21-22, published in Lahore 1987
3. Imam al-Bahayqi in his Sunnan al-Kubra, Vol. 4, Page 300, Hadith No. 8182, 8259
4. Musannaf Abd ar-Razzak, Vol. 4, Page 296, Hadith7865
5. Sunan Abu Dawood, Vol. 7, Page 255, Hadith 2428
6. Musnad Ahmad, Vol. 49, Page 195, Hadith 23200
7. Sunan of Imam Nisai
When beloved Prophet (Peace and Blessings be Upon him) is celebrating his birthday not yearly but every Monday then how it can be labeled as Shirk or Bid’at? It is clear from this Hadith that the Holy Prophet (Peace and Blessings be upon him) was very happy about the day of his birth and so fasted out of gratitude. Fasting is a form of worship, so one can celebrate this day by any form of ibada. One can fast or hold gatherings or provide food to the poor, all being acts of worship.
Beloved Prophet Muhammad SallAllaho Alaihi wa Sallam himself commemorated about his birth in numerous Ahadith. Few of them are presented below.
2) When Hazrat Al-Abbas (Allah be pleased with him) once approached the Prophet (sallallahu alaihi wasallam), he looked like he had heard something (bad about the Prophet). The Prophet (sallallahu alaihi wasallam), then got up on the pulpit and asked, “Who am I?” They said, “You are the Messenger of Allah, may peace be upon you.” He said, I am Muhammad Ibn Abdullah Ibn AdbulMuttalib. Allah has created people and made me from their, and then He made them two parties and made me from the better party. Then He made them tribes and made me for their best tribe, and He made them families and made me from their best family and best in spirit.” (Abu Hasan said that this hadeeth is hasan.) [Tirmidhi Sharif: Kitabul-Munaqib, (Book of Merits) Chapter Babun Fi Fazaldh-un-Nabi, (The Merit of the Prophet (sallallahu alaihi wasallam) Hadith 3616]
3) Wathela Ibn Al-Asqaa narrated that the Messenger of Allah (sallallahu alaihi wasallam) said, “Almighty Allah has chosen the tribe of Kanana from the offspring of Ismail, chose the Quraish from Kanana, chose the family of Hashem from the Quraish, and chose me from the family of Hashem.” (Abu Eisa said that this hadeeth is hasan sahih gharib.) [Tirmidhi Sharif: Kitabul-Munaqib, (Book of Merits) Chapter Babun Fi Fazaldh-un-Nabi, (The Merit of the Prophet (sallallahu alaihi wasallam) Hadith 3617]
Note well here, in the above 2 hadiths, the Holy Prophet(sallallahu alaihi wasallam) is giving a speech to his Companions on his Mawlid (Birth) and how he is born to the best of family and tribe. Yet when the ahle-sunnah-wa-jamaat also gather in the Masaajid to recite the same sayings of the Holy Prophet (sallallahu alaihi wasallam) they branded biddaties – shame on you who falsely accuse the Muslims in performing this praiseworth act and following the sunnah of our beloved Prophet (sallallahu alaihi wasallam).
4) ورأت أمي حين حملت بى أنه خرج منها نور أضاء له قصور بصرى من أرض الشام
Holy Prophet (Peace and Blessings of Allah be Upon Him) said: “When my mother gave birth to me she saw a light proceeding from her which showed her the castles of Syria”
1. Ibn Hisham; Tafsir Ibn Kathir 4:360
2. Bayhaqi, Dala’il an-Nubuwwa 1:110
3. Haythami, Zawa’id 8:221
4. Ibn al-Jawzi ‘al-Wafa’
5. Qadi Iyad, ‘al-Shifa’
6. Musnad Ahmad 4:127
5) أول ما خلق الله تعالى نوري
The Holy Prophet Muhammad (SallAllahu Alaihi wa Sallam) has stated, “The very first thing which Almighty Allah SubHanuhu wa Ta’ala created was my Noor.”
1. Tafseer Nashyapuri, Page 55, Vol. 8
2. Tafseer Araa’is ul Bayaan, Page 238, Vol. 1
3. Tafseer Roohul Bayaan, Page 548, Vol. 1
4. Zirkaani ala al-Mawahib, Page 37, Vol. 1
5. Madarij an-Nabuwwah, Page 6, Vol. 2
6. Bayaan al-Miladun Nabi li Ibn Jauzi, Page 24
6) Sharih al-Bukhari Imam Ahmad Qastalani (Radi Allahu Ta’ala Anhu) states in his most distinguished work “Muwahib al ladaniyah” that narration has been made by Hadrat Imam Zainul Abedeen (Radi Allahu Ta’ala Anhu) who narrates from His father Hadrat Imam Husain (Radi Allahu Ta’ala Anhu) who narrates from His father Hadrat Ali Mushkil Kusha (Radi Allahu Ta’ala Anhu) that the Holy Prophet (SallAllahu Alaihi wa Sallam) has stated,
كنت نورا بين يدى ربى قبل خلق آدم باربعة عشر ألف عام
“I was a Noor (Light) by my creator 14000 years before the creation of Hadrat Adam (Alaihis Salaam)”
1. Muwahib al-Laduniyah, Page 10, Vol. 1
2. Zirkani ala al-Mawahib, Page 49, Vol. 1
3. Jawahir al-Bihar, Page 774
4. Anwaar al-Muhammadiya, Page 9
5. Tafseer Rooh al-Bayan, Page 370, Vol. 2
6. Hujjatullahi Ala al-Alameen
7) Pupil of Imam Malik and the teacher of Imam Ahmed Bin Hanbal and Hafizul Hadith Abdul Razzak Abu Bakr Bin Hamman, the teacher of the teachers of Imam Bukhari and Imam Muslim, in his Book “Musannaf”, has narrated from Hadrat Jabir bin Abdullah Ansari and his son (Radi Allahu Ta’ala Anhum), that he asked the Holy Messenger of Allah (Peace and Blessings of Allah be Upon Him)
روى عبد الرزاق -فيما قيل- عن جابر رضي الله عنه قال: “قلت: يا رسول الله بأبي أنت وأمّي أخبرني عن أول شىء خلقه الله تعالى قبل الأشياء؟ قال: يا جابر إن الله تعالى خلق قبل الأشياء نور نبيّك من نوره فجعل ذلك النور يدور بالقدرة حيث شاء الله ولم يكن في ذلك الوقت لوح ولا قلم ولا جنّة ولا نار ولا ملك ولا سماء ولا أرض ولا شمس ولا قمر ولا جني ولا إنسي، فلما أراد الله أن يخلق الخلق قسّم ذلك النور أربعة أجزاء فخلق من الجزء الأول القلم، ومن الثاني اللوح، ومن الثالث العرش، ثم قسم الجزء الرابع أربعة أجزاء فخلق من الجزء الأول حملة العرش، ومن الثاني الكرسي، ومن الثالث باقي الملائكة، ثم قسّم الرابع أربعة أجزاء فخلق من الأول السموات، ومن الثاني الأرضين، ومن الثالث الجنّة والنار، ثم قسم الرابع أربعة أجزاء فخلق من الأول نور أبصار المؤمنين، ومن الثاني نور قلوبهم وهي المعرفة بالله، ومن الثالث نور أنسهم وهو التوحيد لا إله إلا الله محمّد رسول الله….
O Prophet of Allah! My parents be sacrificed upon you, what did the Almighty Allah SubHanuhu wa Ta’ala first create?” The Prophet (SallAllahu Alaihi wa Sallam) replied: “Allah first created my Noor (Light) of His Noor. This Noor traveled about according to the Will of Allah. At that time, there was no Heaven, Hell, Lawh (Divine Tablet), Pen, Earth, Skies, Sun, Moon, Jinn or Human Beings. When He decided to create, He divided that Noor into four parts. From one part He created the Pen, from the second, the Lawh and from the third, he made the Arsh (Throne). He divided the fourth part into a further four parts. From one, He created those Angels who carry the Arsh, from the second, the Kursi (Divine Chair) and from the third, He created the Angels. He again divided the remaining parts into a further four parts. From one, He created the skies. The second was used in creating the planets. From the third, Heaven and Earth were created. Once again, He divided the fourth part into a further four parts. From one part He created the power with which the believers see. From the second, He created in the hearts of the Believers the Noor of Marifat. From the third, He created Noor in the tongues of the Believers, so that they can read the Kalima of Tawheed.
1. Muwahib al-Ladunniyah, Page 9, Vol. 1
2. Zirkani Shareef, Page 46, Vol. 1
3. Seerate al-Halabia, Page 37, Vol. 1
4. Mutali ul Musarraat Sharah Dalail Khayrat, Page 610
5. Afdal al-Qura by Imam Ibn Hajr Makki
6. Hujatullahu ala al-Alameen, Page 68
7. Anwaar al-Muhammadiya, Page 9
8. Aqidat ash-Shuhada, Page 100
9. Fatawa Hadithia, Page 51
10. Dalaa’il an-Nubuwwah By Imam Baihaqi
11. Khamees by Allama Dayar Bakri
12. Madarij an-Nabuwwat by Skaykh Abdul Haq Muhaddith Dehlvi
8) Allama Muhammad Bin Alawai Malki have stated in his work, Houl al-IHtifal Bi Zikri Mawlid an-Nabawi Ash-Sharif:
Prophet SallAllahu Alaihi wa Sallam after announcing his prophet hood, did his Aqeeqa, not only this, he also stood on his mim’ber sharif (pulpit) and recited his Shajra (Ancestral Tree), commemorated the birth of Hadrat Adam and Status of Hadrat Ibrahim, Hadrat Esa, Hadrat Moosa Alaihimus Salam. He ordered few of his companions to recite his praise; Many of the Companions offered poems in the prominence and praise of Syyiduna Rasoolullah, He was delighted hearing this and prayed for his companions. [Houl al-iH’tifal Bi Zikri Mawlid an-Nabawi Ash-Sharif, Published in Lahore 1987]
9) Narrated ‘Ursa; Thuwaiba was the freed slave girl of Abu Lahb whom he had manumitted, and then she suckled the Prophet. When Abu Lahb died, one of his relatives saw him in a dream in a very bad state and asked him, “What have you encountered?” Abu Lahb said, “I have not found any rest since I left you, except that I have been given water to drink in this (the space between his thumb and other fingers) and that is because of my manumitting Thuwaiba.”
Abu Lahab freed Thuwaiba on joy at birth of Prophet (salallaho alaihi wasalam), even the worst of Kufaar and greatest of enemies is given relaxation in his Adhaab (punishment) due to freeing Thawaiba by pointing with his finger, so Imagine the situation of a momin who rejoices on Mawlid, detailed explanation of this hadith can be found in the article “Sayings of the Prominent Scholars about Celebrating Mawlid”. [Sahih Bukhari, Volume 7, Book 62, Number 38]
10) Ibn Abbas “Allah be pleased with him” reported: The Prophet “Allah’s blessing and peace be upon him” came to Madina and saw the Jews fasting on the tenth day of Muharram. They were asked about that. They replied: “This is the day, on which Allah made Moses and the children of Israel emerge victorious over Pharoah. So, we fast on it “OUT OF GLORIFICATION TO IT”. The Prophet “Allah’s blessing and peace be upin him” said: “We have more claim over Moses than you.” So, he ordered Muslims to fast on it. [Sahih Muslim, Volume 2, Hadith No. 1130]
If it is permissible to commemorate the day when Allah favoured Musa and his Ummah, how can it be bidah and deviation to show gratitude at that time when Allah blessed this Ummah with the greatest favour, about which even Musa said ‘Oh Allah, make me one of his Ummah’ And because the Prophet (salallaho alaihi wasalam) is the greatest blessing it is more incumbent and right for this Ummah to show gratitude. This was the opinion of Sheikh ul Islam and hadith Master of his age, Ibn Hajr Asqalani.
11) Hadrat Anas bin Malik (ra) narrates that Prophet (saw) while mentioning his journey of Miraaj said: Jibril (a.s) asked me to get off from Buraak at Bethlehem and told me to say the prayer there, after which he said: Do you know where you have prayed (O Messenger of Allah)? You prayed at Bethlehem where Isa (Alayhissalam) was BORN. [Sunnan Nasai, Volume 1, Hadith No. 448]
So the Mawlid and the places where Prophets (A.S) are born are amongst Sha’ir (signs to be venerated) of Allah.
12) Imam al-Nasa’i narrated that Hadrat Sayyiduna Ameer al-Mu’awiyah (may Allah be pleased with them) said,
- 1. Sunan an-Nasa’i, Vol. 6, Book 49, Hadith 5428
- 2. Sahih Muslim, Book 40, Hadith 2701
- 3. Jaami’ Tirmidhi, Hadith 3326
- 4. Musnad Imam Ahmad, Hadith 16488
- 5. Sahih Ibn Hibban, Hadith 820
- 6. Musnad Abi Ya’la, Hadith 7331
- 7. Musannaf Ibn Abi Shayba, Hadith 28894
- 8. Tabarani, Mu’jam al-Kabeer, Hadith 16079
- 9. Riyad as-Salihin, Book 16, Hadith 1450
May we be sacrificed at this Merriment O blessed month of Rabi’ al-Awwal!!
Your joys surpass thousands of ‘Eids; All in the world are rejoicing, except Shaytan